China Clay is a clay mineral with the chemical composition Al2Si2O5(OH)4. Rocks that are rich in kaolinite are known as china clay or white clay. China Clay has a low shrink-swell capacity and a low cation exchange capacity (1-15 meq/100g). It is a soft, earthy, usually white mineral (dioctahedral phyllosilicate clay), produced by the chemical weathering of aluminium silicate minerals.
Industrial Applications of China Clay :-
- Paper Industry – The primary use of China Clay is in the paper industry. It serves as a paper coating which improves appearance by contributing to brightness, smoothness and gloss. It also improves printability. Additionally, it is used by the paper industry as a filler reducing cost and the use of tree-based resources.
- China, Porcelain and Tableware – China Clay serves as a valuable component in china and other tablewares. Its color, gloss and hardness are ideal characteristics for such products.
- China Clay is used in ceramics, medicine, coated paper, as a food additive, in toothpaste, as a light diffusing material in white incandescent light bulbs, and in cosmetics.
- It is also used in paint to extend titanium dioxide (TiO2) and modify gloss levels.
- In rubber for semi-reinforcing properties.
- In adhesives to modify rheology, etc.